The backlane bike odyssey
How do i enter?
Enter online, no entry on the day, you need to show your reciept.
What if I win?
There is no winners, cash or podium. By riding your winning! You might win the lucky random prize or the “ itallian stallion” or “ Espirt de Giro” award- but you have to be there to collect it on the day. (12.30pm) this is not a race!
What about my chidren?
They can come too, but they pay full price as the insurance offers no “topolino” (little mouse) discount. YOU are responsible for the course they take, the distance they ride and their conduct at the start and finish area.
Can I have the map now?
Nope, wheres the odyssey in that?
i don’t have gears on my bike, can I come along?
Sure, its perfect for you. You can stand up, push harder or bypass the steeper sections. Its all pretty easy riding. Suitable for single speeds, commuters, fixie, mountain, roadies. It is flat & small hills- mostly flat !
How long have I got to do it?
The Giro d’Perth Doppio 31km is a 3 hour ride at speed and 4 if you cruise- take your time, enjoy the scenery. just be back by 12.30pm for the prizes.
What time do i start?
You can start as soon as you have the map from the registration desk. Read your map and ride off.
We suggest starting early 7am ish for the longer distance and later 930 ish for the shorter route.
How far is it?
31km Giro d Perth Doppio: start to finish.
(approximate distances- does not include: wrong turns, coffee stops or photo taking.)
Allow about 11km / hour for the ride and clue stops
is it all bikepaths?
No, Bike paths, roads, back lanes & quiet streets. Pave, gravel, and grass if you take a short cut!
What if it rains?
The show goes on, rain hail or shine.
Wear some protective gear- dont get sunburnt!
How do i get there?
best to ride, but you can park your car at the start and finish.
What if i get a flat tyre?
sorry, no support vehicles for this Giro. ask for help from the rest of the riders and smile sweetly!
What if i get lost?
phone a friend, back track, follow the map or ask for directions
What should i bring?
bike and helmet are a must.
A smile and a joke.
Other items might include:
• A warm jacket, gloves, scarf, sunscreen, hat
• Cash, card or lira to swap for food and drinks.
• Phone or carrier pigeon.
• Basic bikey tools, pump, bike lock and spare tube(s).
Are they wearing these jerseys at the Tour de France?
Not yet, but they might one day! and you pick it up at the registration tent- keep your email entry confirmation and present on the day.
Does my BWA insurance cover me?
We like everyone and all cycling groups. But our event insurance for volunteers needs everyone to have full or temporary Cycling Australia membership. Cycling Australia promotes a pathway for all riders from learners through training programs to Olympic medals like Queen Anna Meares.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms and Conditions of entry –All participants are required to agree to the below terms and conditions of entry when they register for the event.
1. I have read the conditions of entry for this event and understand the demanding physical nature of the event. I am not aware of any medical condition or impairment that will be detrimental to my health if I participate in this event. In the event that I become aware of any medical condition or impairment, or am otherwise sick or injured prior to the event, I will withdraw from the event.
2. I acknowledge that participating in this event may involve a real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including; over exertion, dehydration, and accidents with other participants, spectators or road users.
3. I acknowledge that it is a condition of participating in this event that I do so at my own risk. I accept all risks and in consideration of my entry, I, my heirs, executors and administrators release and forever discharge Mr Vesparazzi, their employees, members, promoters, volunteers, servants, agents and subcontractors, instrumentalities, and all voluntary community groups assisting with this event, all sponsors producers their agents and representatives, and any person or body, directly or indirectly associated with the event of all liabilities, claims, damages or costs which I may have against them arising out of, or in any way connected with my participation in the event. I understand this waiver includes claims based on negligence, action, or inaction of any of the above parties. This release continues forever and binds my heirs, successors, executors, personal representatives and assigns.
4. I consent to the publication and or use in any form of media whatsoever of my name, image, voice, statements or otherwise, before, during or after the event whether for advertising, promotion or otherwise, without payment or compensation.
5. I agree that should the event be cancelled for any reason whatsoever, my entry fees will not be refunded and no liability of any kind whatsoever will attach to the organisers.
6. I have carefully read this entry form and agree to abide by all the rules and directions of all event officials on the day of the event.
7. If signing for a person under 18 years of age. I certify that I am the parent/guardian of the ‘minor’ who will be participating on the day of the Event. In consideration of the Event organiser accepting the minor’s application to participate in the Event, I agree to indemnify and shall keep indemnified the Organisers in respect of any losses they or any of them may suffer as a consequence of any claim/s by the minor and to the same extent as any other competitor indemnifies the Organisers pursuant to the above legal declaration.
8. I HAVE READ UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE. ALL ENTRANTS AGREE TO THIS WAIVER BY ENTERING THE EVENT REGISTRATION (if under 18 parent or guardian of the entrant must agree)
Terms and conditions of insurance :The 2017 Giro D Perth on the Sunday 19th March is an event sanctioned by South Perth Cycle Club, an affiliate of Cycling Australia.
Cycling Australia membership is required for all participants. This is bestowed upon every non member of Cycling Australia with a temporary membership called a Silver Ride permit. Existing Cycling Australia members can ride with a RIDE or RACE membership. Details on Cycling Australia membership and insurance is available at www.wa.cycling.org.au.
1) I declare that I am medically and physically fit and able to participate in Cycling activities. I acknowledge that i must, and I agree that I will, disclose any pre-existing medical or other condition that may affect the risk that either I or any other person will suffer injury, loss or damage.
2) i acknowledge that Cycling Australia relies on information provided by me and that all such information is accurate and complete.
3). I agree to report any accidents, injuries, loss or damage I suffer during any Cycling activities to Cycling Australia before I leave any relevant venue.
Assumption of risk:
4) I acknowledge that Cycling activities are inherently dangerous. I recognise that there are risks specifically associated with Cycling activities which include, but are not limited to, collisions and contact with other participants and road users, riding on roads which are or may be closed or partially closed to traffic, the remoteness of the areas in which a ride takes place, sudden and unexpected changes in weather, physical exertion and difficulties in evacuation if I become disabled. I acknowledge that accidents can and often do happen which may result in me being injured or even killed, or my property being damaged.
5) I understand and acknowledge the dangers associated with the consumption of alcohol or any mind-altering substance before or during any Cycling activity, and I accept full responsibility for injury, loss or damage associated with the consumption of alcohol or any other mind-altering substance.
6) I agree to follow any rules set by the Cycling Australia in connection with any Cycling activities. in particular, I have been advised to wear an approved helmet at all times during Cycling activities. If I fail to comply with Cycling Australia’s rules and/or directions, I will not be permitted to participate or to continue to participate and no refund will be given.
Release and indemnity:
7) in consideration of Cycling Australia accepting my membership application I:a) release and will release Cycling Australia from all Claims that I may have or may have had but for this release arising from or in connection with my participation in Cycling activities; and b) indemnify and will keep indemnified Cycling Australia to the extent permitted by law in respect of any Claim by any person: i. arising as a result of or in connection with my membership or my participation in Cycling activities .ii. against Cycling Australia in respect of any injury, loss or damage arising out of or in connection with my failure to comply with Cycling Australia’s rules and/or directions.
8) I agree and acknowledge that, to the extent permitted by law, Cycling Australia shall not be liable for any injury, loss or damage I suffer or by any other person arising from or in connection with my participation in Cycling activities, whether such injury, loss or damage was caused directly or indirectly by the negligence of Cycling Australia or otherwise, or by Cycling Australia’s servants or agents.
9) if I suffer any injury or illness, I agree that Cycling Australia may provide evacuation, first aid and/or medical treatment at my expense and that my acceptance of these terms and conditions constitutes my consent to such evacuation, first aid and/or medical treatment.
10) I understand that Cycling Australia has arranged some limited insurance coverage which may provide me with some protection for loss, damage or injury that I may suffer during my participation in Cycling activities. however, I acknowledge and accept that insurance taken out by Cycling Australia may not provide full indemnity for loss, damage or injury that I may suffer during my participation in the Cycling activities, and that I may have to pay the excess if a claim is made on my behalf. I agree that my own insurance arrangements are ultimately my responsibility and I will arrange any additional coverage at my expense after taking into account Cycling Australia’s insurance arrangements and my own circumstances.